Just saying the word ‘compliance’ can make even the most composed personality type spiral into anxiety.
Because if your business doesn’t follow compliance requirements to a tee, you could be faced with fines, lawsuits, lost reputation, reduced productivity and more.
And, when you’re in charge of training that coincides with very strict and complicated compliance needs, it can only exacerbate the problem.
This is often the case for highly regulated industries such as manufacturing, health care, banking, oil and gas, government and aerospace, to name a few.
Under normal circumstances compliance is challenging, but when you add in specific industry requirements it’s essential that an LMS is customizable.
For instance, in manufacturing it’s important to be able to validate in the field the current standing of each employee against local regulations or conduct a skills checklist assessment.
Can your LMS do this? And, if not, can it be quickly and easily customized to accommodate?
The bottom line is, not every LMS is equal when it comes to compliance.
So, it’s imperative to ask the right questions and identify the right compliance features during the selection process.
During the LMS selection process, keep these features top of mind while exploring additional requirements.
One thing is for sure, compliance will always be a challenge and it will always play a big part in any training program.
That is why it’s so important to understand what your specific compliance needs are before participating in the LMS selection process. Because, as was mentioned before, not all LMSs are equal in the compliance realm.
You know your business better than anyone. Whether you’re dealing with HIPAA regulations, ISO or something else, be sure to create a shortlist of your current and future compliance needs.
For example, one of ShareKnowledge's clients was in a highly regulated industry - oil and gas. They knew not every LMS would be the right fit for them and most likely would need customization.
Right from the beginning, they knew what scenarios they would need to talk about with any potential LMS provider.
1. Integration with other technology solutions employed throughout the company,
2. Support management of multiple third-party contract training providers that provide both face-to-face and online training certifications,
3. Allow autonomous content creation, control and training management at subsidiary, divisional and site level without interfering with controls and training established at higher levels in the organization,
4. Track and audit both training and work instructions created and stored on company servers by hundreds of SME distributed throughout the organization,
5. Scale to support extended enterprise with potentially thousands of semi-autonomous divisions and business units,
6. Automate as much as possible to ensure compliance with local, regional and international regulations,
7. Record assessments, certifications, completions and acknowledgements and report in real- or near-real-time to various levels in the office and in the field, allowing for work assignments in accordance with risk management requirements.
Customization is a great feature to have and will allow you to be flexible as your compliance needs change throughout the years.
Be sure to also inquire about what kind of additional costs might be associated with customization and if the scope of work will require lots of man hours.
When an LMS can keep your business one step ahead of compliance it creates a tremendous sense of relief. And, when you have confidence in that area it’s one less thing to worry about. Be sure to consider some of the key areas we discussed in this blog when evaluating systems.
ShareKnowledge excels with the most difficult compliance needs. That is because it inherits every business process and workflow already developed and then enhances them with the LMS feature and functionality required to manage enterprise training programs — turning every SOP, work instruction or content into a trackable, reportable and potentially automatically distributed training resource. If you think that ShareKnowledge might be a good fit for your business, please fill out the form and a member of our team will reach out shortly.